The appearance of vinyl tiles in a wide range of finishing materials was not a furore. Its invention is a quite understandable regularity from the technical and technological point of view. With systematic perseverance, the developers improved the practical qualities and insulation aspects, improved the laying methods in order to facilitate the process and reduce labor costs.
The result is admirable: the vinyl floor tiles and the design are delightful and serve for an incredibly long time, and can be laid without problems by non-professional performers. Let’s consider in details its merits and advantages of laying from all sides.
What is a good floor made of vinyl tiles?
The undeniable advantage of a floor vinyl tile in Ontario is that it combines the best qualities of a number of the most popular coverings. It is a symbiosis of linoleum flexibility, stability of natural stone, simplicity and speed of construction of laminated floors.
Vinyl tiles imitate parquet, floor ceramics, leather trim, marble and granite facing with tactile and visual accuracy. There are brands, thanks to the laying of which under the feet of the owners can eternally green grass, can remind of summer holidays sea pebbles or river sand.
- durability, allowing manufacturers to issue guarantees without fear for periods of 10 to 35 years;
- extremely weak abrasion, provided by the introduction of mineral crumb or quartz sand;
- resistance to UV irradiation, so that the original flavor does not change at all;
- waterproofing, providing the opportunity to use the material for the arrangement of wet rooms, outdoor areas, swimming pools;
- dimensional stability, which guarantees independence from moisture and temperature fluctuations;
- resistance to point impacts and prolonged mechanical impact without cracks, chips, scratches, tears, dents;
- favourable price, compounded by minimal preparation and laying costs.
We will not spread widely about the numerous options for decoration, they can boast both laminate and tiled linoleum. By analogy with the above-mentioned coatings vinyl floor in Toronto is not of interest to rodents, colonies of bacteria and fungi.
Positive technological aspects of vinyl tiles
It should be noted that the vinyl tile was able to outrun its historical prototypes also in technological aspects, such as:
- convenient for the stacker size of the elements, which can be cut with a knife;
- the accuracy of the geometry that makes the markings easier;
- ductility that allows you to lay the coating without complications in hard-to-reach areas, in areas with complex configurations, in sloping areas;
- light weight, no pressure on the overlap, no problems with transportation and installation;
- extremely simple arrangement schemes;
- the ability to put the vinyl coating literally on any base without substrate;
- insignificant thickness that does not “eat” the height of the ceilings.
Doubts about environmental circumstances are unreservedly rejected. Because the complete safety of vinyl is convincingly confirmed by the experience of using plastic food containers, windows, pipelines, finishing and furniture of their PVC.
Among the advantages we should mention the resistance to fire, it is due to the increased content of the mineral component. The material exactly or almost 80% consisting of quartz sand or mineral chips persistently refuses to burn.
The care of the vinyl floor
The care of the vinyl floor will be classified as “simple”. You can wash and clean without any restrictions in terms of frequency and means. The more so because often to use both household chemicals, and their own strength will not have to, because from the attraction of dust and embedded contamination of PVC tiles protect the upper antistatic layer. Let’s finish the vinyl praises with a greasy point: it is impossible to slip on it.
Structural Types of Vinyl Tiles
Despite the in-depth modernization, tile vinyl coverings are classified as their historical predecessor – linoleum – according to their performance indicators. They are also divided into household and commercial categories with a numbered gradation of wear resistance.
The most durable material will be class 43 with an upper protective layer 0.5 mm thick. This figure refers to commercial brands recommended for arrangement of industrial, sports and public premises. Domestic vinyl flooring of 32-34 class with a transparent upper protection layer 0.3 mm thick, at least 0.2 mm, will be suitable for finishing the floor in the house.
By technological features in the list of vinyl coverings are listed:
- Self-adhesive pvc floor tiles – the most convenient type for laying. On its back side there is a shell with adhesive composition that provides instant adhesion to any non-sticky surface;
- Lock commercial type, equipped with plastic fasteners system “spike groove” – an improved variation on the theme of non-inhabited polyvinyl chloride laminate. It is used for building floating floors in rooms with intensive traffic;
- Glue flooring of vinyl tiles. Based on the definition, for its installation will require glue. This is an inexpensive and absolutely not demanding to rough base type.
The optimal adhesive composition for fixing each of these types of vinyl tiles is specified by the manufacturer of the coating. This generalized classification can be complemented by brands with specific design features, such as glue chamfer or processed glue composition at the ends.
Instruction for laying glue vinyl tiles
In general, the technology of laying pvc floor tiles on the glue is similar to the algorithm of gluing ceramic tiles. The only difference is that the vinyl elements can easily finish concave and convex surfaces.
Since the vinyl floor coverings are stable geometry, the observance of technological indents on the perimeter of the premises, around the pipes, near the doorways is not necessary. There is no need for joints between the elements, PVC tiles are laid back-to-back. The exception – a floating floor, requiring cutting off the walls to prevent the transmission of sound waves.
Preparation as a mandatory step
Despite the assurances of vinyl flooring manufacturers that there are no requirements for a draft basis, there are still reservations in the instructions for their product:
- the humidity of the concrete base is within 5%;
- thorough preliminary repair of cracks, peeled areas, potholes;
- the presence of a rigid non-sagging surface built of plywood, if necessary, over the boardwalk floor, parquet, concrete;
- preliminary removal of sharp recesses and bulges by cycling, grinding or pouring the levelling mixture;
- scrupulous removal of oil paint residue, grease and dust.
In order to prevent unnecessary consumption of glue, the porous concrete floor, gaps between floors, joints between ceramic elements of the old coating should be puttied. Before gluing or before assembling a floating floor vinyl tiles should be allowed to “stand” in a horizontal position at least 24 hours in the room being equipped. The temperature background in the room during the adaptation period of the material and installation is specified by the manufacturer of the material, usually from 18 º to 24 º C.
It is allowed to install vinyl floor tiles in Toronto over water and electrical systems of “underfloor” heating. The main thing is not to forget that a week before the start of floor decoration equipment must be turned off.
Between the vinyl flooring and the “warm floor” should be a distance of about 1.5 cm, provided with a purlin bar, polymer or cement priming. Do not glue vinyl tiles to foam insulators and soft substrates!
Examination “dry” on the size of the room
Before the start, experienced craftsmen recommend “dry” to lay tiles on the site intended for finishing to determine the initial point of laying. It does not always coincide with the center of the room due to differences in placement of furniture, built-in closets or large appliances.
Once you have determined the starting point, mark the perpendicular axes with the coated cord. Axial guide lines can be parallel to walls or marked at an angle. Along one of them we will lay tile after tile, the second one is needed as a reference point.
Step-by-step description of vinyl tile laying process in Toronto
So, here is the order of work:
- We carefully study the instructions for the use of glue, pay attention to the time of polymerization of the composition. During this period, we need to have time to attach the surface of the tiles treated with glue.
- Given the initial lack of skill, we are not fond of smearing large areas with glue. We will start with 3 m², then we will reach 5 m². We use a flat trowel with V-shaped teeth for application. We glue the area near the starting point on one side of the axis.
- The end and longitudinal line of the first tile with arrows on the back side of which there are hinting arrows should coincide with the center lines. Apply it, iron it by hand to remove excess glue and air from under the tile.
- “Stretch” the tile after the tile according to the chosen scheme: “pyramid” or “layer after layer”. Elements are stacked without gaps!
- Roll the finished floor area with a rubber roller. We will remove the excess glue leaked through the joints with a wet rag. After half an hour, we will once again roll.
We, of course, will not sit and wait for half an hour, after which we need to repeat rolling on the roller. At this time, we tile another area of PVC, and so until the end.
At the end of the process of gluing the tiles, check that each element is securely fixed, especially in the area of corners. Doubtful elements will be glued again. After a day of vinyl floors can be cleaned safely, items of your favorite environment to bring and place is allowed in 48 hours.
Tips for cutting and laying of sections
Always need to keep in mind that:
- To avoid mistakes when cutting vinyl tile segments, markup should be done on the front side.
- The segment should first be tried on without attaching it to the place intended for its installation, then the surface should be treated with glue and glued.
- For proper cutting of tiles, some of which will bend the pipe and door jambs, you need to make templates from cardboard.
The surface of the vinyl tiles is effortlessly cut to the marked line with a knife. Then you need to bend the element and complete the cutting along the previously made cut.